Externships at West Loop Veterinary Care
West Loop Veterinary Care is a state of the art, American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) accredited and Cat Friendly Certified practice conveniently located near public transportation in Chicago’s vibrant, urban West Loop Neighborhood. Our positive environment is made up of a compassionate and enthusiastic team consisting of 9 doctors and 35+ support staff including Hospital Attendants, Patient Care Coordinators, Exam Room Assistants, and Technicians.
Veterinary Student Externship
Located near downtown Chicago, West Loop Veterinary Care offers 1-2 week externships for third and fourth year veterinary students. Externs will be paired with team members and rotate through all areas of the hospital in order to explore their professional interests while experiencing a varied caseload.
Our emphasis on continual learning, utilization of a supportive team, and open communication across all hospital areas allow us to be the solution for patients, our clients, and each other. We feature >4:1 support team ratio, digital imaging and ultrasound, Force Triad surgical device, anesthetic ventilator, therapeutic lasers, dedicated oral health care suites, and more.
Technician Student Externship
At West Loop Veterinary Care, we offer veterinary technician externships to all students currently enrolled in an AVMA-accredited veterinary technician program, authorized to work in the United States, and that have an interest in small animal hospitals.
Working with our team and hospital will provide opportunities to work directly with our veterinarians and highly utilized technicians to reach your goals. You will work side by side with a credentialed veterinary technician to provide exceptional medical care to our patients and excellent customer service to our clients. In this position you will find positive experiences, showcase your ability to go above and beyond for our families and their pets, and gain the knowledge and experience to set you up for success for your career in veterinary medicine.
What to Expect from a Veterinary Externship at WLVC
- Assigned mentor to help guide your experience and help set and achieve your goals
- Assist with surgical procedures using Force Triad technology.
- Complete full physical exams on hospital patients.
- Working directly with a veterinarian in the exam room.
- Interpret digital radiographs and ultrasound imaging.
- Order and analyze laboratory tests and results.
- 20-30 hours per week with our team.
- Weekly Stipend
What to Expect from a Technician Externship at WLVC
- Assigned mentor to help guide your experience at WLVC.
- Use of advanced technology (ultrasound, ventilator, Force Triad technology, laparoscope, cold laser, digital radiology).
- Immersive experience and application of skills from day one.
- Daily responsibilities will include: patient handling and care, anesthesia, advanced analgesia, dentistry, laboratory procedures, prescription preparation, radiology, client education, and maintaining hospital cleanliness.
- Opportunity for employment after completion of externship.
Our team will be by your side the entire time to guide your experience, collaborate on treatment, and coach your communications. You will meet with your mentor at the beginning of the externship to set goals. Throughout the externship you will track your goals with the help of our skilled team. At the end of the externship, you will review your accomplishments with your mentor and document everything for your program. Our goal is to provide you with a set of tools that you will use for years to come.
Careers at West Loop Veterinary Care
Located in Chicago’s vibrant West Loop community, West Loop Veterinary Care is one of the premier veterinary hospitals in Chicago. We are a busy, state-of-the-art, environmentally-friendly hospital committed to outstanding patient care and excellent service to the people who care for them.
Our emphasis on continual learning, utilization of a supportive team, and open communication across all hospital areas allows us to be the solution for patients, our clients, and each other. We feature >4:1 support team ratio, digital imaging and ultrasound, Force Triad surgical device, laparoscopy, anesthetic ventilator, therapeutic lasers, dedicated oral health care suites, and more.